Review `airbyte-k8s` Charm for Listing

Hello! I’d like to request for the listing of the Airbyte k8s operator charm. This is one of two Airbyte charms being requested for listing but I will submit two separate requests. (Update: the other request can be found here)

Airbyte is an open-source data integration platform designed to centralize and streamline the process of extracting and loading data from various sources into data warehouses, lakes, or other destinations.

This operator provides the Airbyte server, and consists of Python scripts which wraps the versions distributed by airbyte.

PR for code review: Review Charm for Listing by kelkawi-a · Pull Request #15 · canonical/airbyte-k8s-operator · GitHub

Metadata links

CI Links

Documentation Links

1 Like

Thanks @ali-kelkawi for the review request! @mbeierl can you please help with this review? You can go through and tick off the items on the checklist and post the result in this thread. This prior listing request could serve as an example of how to go about it. Please ping @review-coordinators for any questions.

I hear that @mbeierl is actually away for a while.

@dimaqq would you mind picking this one up? The instructions are in the post just above this one, or you can of course reach out if you need any help!

1 Like

Reporting in, though I’m not an expert, yet :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve done a first pass review on the PR

1 Like

@ali-kelkawi please correct the “Relevant Links / Homepage” URL at Charmhub | Deploy Airbyte Server using Charmhub - The Open Operator Collection

There seems to be a typo at the moment and the URL points to gitub.com which appears to be a typosquatter, and it seems to be hosting malware.

Current state, per Leon’s short checklist:

• overall charmhub appearance: OK-ish
    • name: OK, though a PR comment raised about consistency
    • publisher: should be “Canonical [something]”, not “Ali Kelkawi” if it’s our supported charm
    • links: most links work, one issue raised on the PR
  • source repo: bad link, PR comment raised
  • coding conventions: OK
  • release automation: looks OK
  • tests in CI: I’m not sure…
  • unit tests: OK
  • integration tests: OK
  • documentation: OK
  • contributing doc: OK
  • license: OK

@ali-kelkawi have the items above (especially the typo’d link) been resolved? I took a quick look just now and it seems fine, so either it’s fixed or I’m looking in the wrong place.

If you can confirm that the issues @dimaqq has in the checklist above are resolved, we should be good for listing, I believe.

It seems that a new version was pushed to charmhub a week ago, fixing the bad homepage link.

Based on a cursory glance, tt least two issues are remaining:

• charm is still listed By Ali Kelkawi
  • the link on CONTRIBUTING.md is still local to GitHub

Thanks again for the thorough review. I’ve submitted this request to have the charm ownership be transferred to our team. Could you please let me know what link you are referring to in CONTRIBUTING.md you are referring to? The CONTRIBUTING.md file is generally specific to Github and does not make its way to the charm docs, so it should be fine for any links on there to be local to Github.

Thanks all!

No need to wait for an ownership change for listing. @odysseus-k This one should be good for listing now!

It appears that Canonical is moving to a practice where charms authored by Canonical should only use artefacts (here container images) that are also built by Canonical.

Current charm PR uses external (airbyte) container images.

cc @jameinel who may be able to provide details about charm maturity level where this practice becomes a hard requirement and/or how to apply for an exemption.

@tony-meyer The charm has been listed as requested.

Thanks,

Odysseus

2 Likes