Review `pro-airgapped-server` for listing

Dear CharmHub team,

I want to request the review of the pro-airgapped-server machine charm for public listing. pro-airgapped-server charm is the airgapped (=internetless) version of the Ubuntu Pro backend. Some of our customers want to use the locally-hosted service instead of the Canonical-hosted one (https://contracts.canonical.com/).

Metadata links

CI links

Documentation links

• How-to on Discourse. Feel free to skip the mirror setup part and just run the juju commands on your Pro production token.

There is no link to CONTRIBUTING as the charm upstream code is private. We want it publicly searchable as Field Engineering and some of our customers already deploy it via the Knowledge Base instruction and automating operations via charm is more preferred.

Should you need any assistance, feel free to ping me on Mattermost, my nickname is andrew-polukhin. Thank you very much in advance!

Best, Andrei

CC @ironcore864 @benhoyt, thanks!

I have reviewed the code, it’s a relatively simple charm with only a few observers, and there is a detailed how-to guide documentation included. Approved.

1 Like

I’m having trouble installing it on my arm64 machine, but I had a video call with andrew-polukhin where he walked me through the charm and the functionalities. To sum up:

The pro-airgapped charm deploys a machine charm where the pro-airgapped and contracts-airgapped binaries are installed and configured so that they can be used to verify tokens and enable Ubuntu Pro features in an air-gapped environment (without internet access).

The how-to guide documentation is very detailed, there are two ways to use it:

• If the air-gapped server has temporary internet access, users can use juju to provide the pro-tokens config to the charm.
  • If the air-gapped server can’t get any temporary internet access at all, another server with internet access is required to get configurations, then run juju to provide the config to the charm.

The charm will then write the config locally and Ubuntu Pro is enabled.

1 Like

I have finished the complete review process according to Charm maturity stage 1 and Reviewing charms.

A few minor details are missing, and here’s a summary:

• According to “Charm maturity stage 1”, there should be an icon. Currently, this charm is using the default Ubuntu icon, and I see some other charms use the same icon. So I guess this one is OK, but it’s a good time for you to change to a non-default icon if you wish.
  • According to “Charm maturity stage 1”, the documentation should contain not only “how to use the charm”, but also “how to modify the charm” and “how to contribute to the development”. There is a similar requirement from “reviewing charms”, which says you should have “documentation for contributing”. I saw that there is already a CONTRIBUTING.md file serving this purpose in the repository, but the link is not available on the Charmhub detail page. My suggestion is that maybe we can add this link to the Charmhub detail page.
  • According to “Charm maturity stage 1”, section “Community discussions”, A Discourse link or Mattermost channel must be available for discussion. Could you create a discourse post for this charm and add it to the Charmhub detail page/repository? If you have a Mattermost channel that’d be even better I think.
  • According to “Reviewing charms”, installation test results, integration test results, etc. are required. In our call yesterday we walked through the installation process and verified the result. Maybe you can provide a short description of the result, like the commands we ran yesterday manually to deploy it to show the result in the original post or add some links to the CI result?

I have already reached out to the charm author @andrew-polukhin about these details. Since nothing major is missing and these probably can be fixed real soon, mean while, I will check what actions on our side are left to make it publicly searchable.

Thanks for the update, @ironcore864!

I have addressed points 1, 2 and 3 in direct messages on Mattermost. Regarding p.4 on running installation and tests, I will put this into a Canonical Pastebin as the repository is private. Pastebins:

For future reference - if you post in the review requests topic (I’ve moved it here now) then the request will definitely get seen and go through the regular process of getting a reviewer assigned, and so forth.

1 Like

@odysseus-k This one should be good for listing now, thanks!

Hi,

The pro-airgapped-server charm should now be listed.

Thanks,

Deep

1 Like