Question on Spaces, Deploying to an Elastic IP

Background Hey, I am deploying 3 applications… a nodejs app, nginx, and certbot… via juju!

I created an AWS VPC, 2 subnets (1 public, 1 private) … a natgateway and internet gateway…

About 3 months or so back I successfully used this VPC via JAAS controller and model… to deploy a webapp, give it TLS certs via certbot… and everything was seemingly fine. had DNS too via route 53…

My issue now is… I wiped out the applications in preparation to test some new configs… same VPC same networking same spaces… same subnets… but when I deploy I am not reusing the same machines nor same elastic ip address…

The problem

why is it when I deploy… I get some public ipv4 address… but now I need to attach an elastic ip… so that can be associated with the route53 setup… or am I wrong and no elastic ip is needed?? if I attempt to hit the public ip given in juju… nothing happens or gets shown in browser

when I associate an elastic ip, juju agent never grabs that in the status… and in fact I no longer can SSH into the machine at all… even though I can just fine before the elastic ip is associated.

Model                Controller  Cloud/Region   Version  SLA          Timestamp
my-first-mahrio-dev  JAAS        aws/us-west-1  2.9.18   unsupported  11:23:58+01:00

App      Version  Status  Scale  Charm    Store  Channel  Rev  OS      Message
certbot           active      1  certbot  local             8  ubuntu  (update) certbot is associated with mahrio
mahrio            active      1  mahrio   local            13  ubuntu  (website-relation-changed) finished change 10:21
nginx             active      1  nginx    local             9  ubuntu  (update) NGINX is running 10:22

Unit        Workload  Agent  Machine  Public address  Ports           Message
certbot/8*  active    idle   34       12.34.56.78                     (update) certbot is associated with mahrio
mahrio/14*  active    idle   35       10.0.2.188      3000/tcp        (website-relation-changed) finished change 10:21
nginx/9*    active    idle   34       12.34.56.78     80/tcp,443/tcp  (update) NGINX is running 10:22

Machine  State    DNS          Inst id              Series  AZ          Message
34       started  12.34.56.78  i-12345a  bionic  us-west-1b  running
35       started  10.0.2.188   i-12345b  bionic  us-west-1b  Start instance attempt 1

Here’s my bundle I had exported from the working env… with a few defaults pared backed… like channel (which was all stable and not needed)

series: bionic
applications:
  certbot:
    charm: /home/charms/certbot-charm
    num_units: 1
    to:
    - "1"
    bindings:
      "": mahrio-dev-public
  mahrio:
    charm: /home/charms/mahrio-charm
    to:
    - "2"
    options:
      git_deploy_private_key: |
        -----BEGIN OPENSSH PRIVATE KEY-----
        -----END OPENSSH PRIVATE KEY-----
      mahrio_config: |
        domain1.com
        domain2.com
      mongodb_connection_str: SOME_MONGO_STRING
    bindings:
      "": mahrio-dev-backend
  nginx:
    charm: /home/charms/nginx-charm
    to:
    - "1"
    bindings:
      "": mahrio-dev-public
machines:
  "1":
    constraints: instance-type=t3.micro
  "2":
    constraints: instance-type=t3.small
relations:
- - mahrio:website
  - nginx:website
- - certbot:website
  - mahrio:website

And some other metadata

$juju spaces
Name                Space ID  Subnets     
alpha               0                     
mahrio-dev-backend  1         10.0.2.0/24 
                              252.2.0.0/16
mahrio-dev-public   2         10.0.1.0/24 
                              252.1.0.0/16

$ juju subnets
subnets:
  10.0.1.0/24:
    type: ipv4
    provider-id: subnet-123
    provider-network-id: vpc-00001
    space: mahrio-dev-public
    zones:
    - us-west-1b
  10.0.2.0/24:
    provider-id: subnet-456
    space: mahrio-dev-backend
    zones:
    - us-west-1b
  252.1.0.0/16:
    provider-id: subnet-123-INFAN-10-0-1-0-24
    space: mahrio-dev-public
    zones:
    - us-west-1b
  252.2.0.0/16:
    provider-id: subnet-456-INFAN-10-0-2-0-24
    space: mahrio-dev-backend
    zones:
    - us-west-1b

Thanks for taking a look

UPDATE:

I can now see my webapp. I manually went into the EC2 instance that was in the public subnet… and edited the routing table to allow HTTP traffic… that was missing… I guess if I had had the elastic ip and security group on that ip already it wouldn’t have been necessary… but my question still remains…

how would I assign after the juju deploy a new elastic ip… AND get to SSH into my instance if it’s stuck on the old ip?

and now I am wondering aloud… how do I codify the VPC, the basic internet gateway… etc … in AWS (or in any major cloud co…). seems Juju would stop at the networking setup… and I just want to devise a plan with my public cloud usage… to create the needed basic VPC, networking… seems I’d need to learn from articles like this