`prime` key is deprecated, but no replacement is documented

In recent versions of charmcraft (3.1.x), the prime key was deprecated, meaning this way of placing files in charms is no longer valid and has to be changed in charms’ metadata.

The following note was added to the docs:

If your charm currently uses the prime key to include extra files: Note that, starting with Charmcraft 3.0, this key will become obsolete and you will see lint errors indicating that unknown additional files have been added. Users can still use this method to filter existing files.

The problem is that there is no suggestion for what to do instead. I think it would be helpful to add another set of instructions for 3.x to say what would be the replacement of this deprecated key. In my case, I did what this comment suggests and it worked.

Hi Daniela,

The particular documentation page you referenced was created to show how to use the dump plugin to add extra files that would previously have been added using the prime keyword. Can you suggest ways to make that clearer?

Thanks,

Alex

Thanks for the reply @lengau ! In the past few days this piece of documentation changed:

In the past, us charmers we did not have any example of the new way for using the dump plugin for adding files into the charm, but the new changes make sense and that is what I was suggesting/asking for! (:

We can close this now.

1 Like