Ovn-chassis best practices

In re-reading https://docs.openstack.org/project-deploy-guide/charm-deployment-guide/latest/app-ovn.html#external-connectivity
I think I may have made a mistake in my deployment
My current ovn chassis configuration is as follows:

ovn-chassis:
    charm: cs:ovn-chassis-3
    channel: stable
    options:
      bridge-interface-mappings: br-provider:bond0
      ovn-bridge-mappings: dcfabric:br-provider
relations:
- - ovn-chassis:nova-compute
  - nova-compute:neutron-plugin
- - ovn-chassis:certificates
  - vault:certificates
- - ovn-chassis:ovsdb
  - ovn-central:ovsdb

Currently every nova compute node has bond0 present with no layer3 addresses assigned to the bond as described in: https://docs.openstack.org/project-deploy-guide/charm-deployment-guide/latest/configure-bridge.html

It is not necessary nor recommended to add mapping for external Layer3 networks to all 
chassis. Doing so will create a scaling problem at the physical network layer that needs to be
resolved with globally shared Layer2 (does not scale) or tunneling at the top-of-rack switch
layer (adds complexity) and is generally not a recommended configuration.

Since a number of compute nodes have already been deployed what is the best path forward?
Is it as simple as updating the ovn-chassis subordiate charm configuration to use the MAC addresses of some of the existing bond0 interfaces, or are there gotchas to look out for making changes to the bridge interface mappings in a live environment?
Something like:

juju config ovn-chassis \
    bridge-interface-mappings='br-provider:00:00:5e:00:00:41 \
                               br-provider:00:00:5e:00:00:42 \
                               br-provider:00:00:5e:00:00:43'

Alternatively does it make sense to use prefer-chassis-as-gw ovn chassis | Juju
If this is the preferred mechanism, how do you scope a subordinate charm to a specific subset of machines?

1 Like

I arrived to this point as well, what was your conclusion?

It seems like the right way, but I haven’t had an opportunity to test, and I haven’t seen any documentation that provides further clarification.

1 Like