My first question

Hi Team, could you please help me to get clarification on below questions

1. How many nodes can i add to Microstack cluster (is there any limit?)
  2. Limitation list for resources in microstack, like compute, storage network and database resources
  3. How to migrate resources (compute, storage, Network, Database, etc…) from Microstack to Charmed Openstack (Enterprise Edition)

Thank you dplandigi

Hi - I’ve been reading the microstack multi node docs and haven’t found it.

@billy-olsen, ping for MicroStack answers.

Hi @dplandigi, apologies for a late reply here. I was traveling last week when @hmlanigan pinged and didn’t see this until now.

1. How many nodes can i add to Microstack cluster (is there any limit?)

There’s not currently a hard-coded limit to the number of nodes you can add to a microstack cluster, however we’ve only tested a few nodes at a time (typically 2 or three nodes in a cluster). In practice, the clustering bits for microstack are simply to get initial configuration information in order to add a compute node.

1. Limitation list for resources in microstack, like compute, storage network and database resources

After that, scaling limits and such are primarily based on a single node control plane OpenStack (please do note that the control plane is not highly available). The interesting thing about the scaling scenarios are that it very much depends on how you use your cloud. This certainly doesn’t scale to have multiple cells, nor was it intended to. There’s only a single control plane node, which will begin to run into challenges as you scale it up - based on both the database usage and the rabbitmq usage (if you more actively use it - e.g. to spin up and down instances, attach/detach network resources, etc it will put more pressure on rabbit and the mysql server.

Are there specific resource limitations that you are interested in understanding better?

1. How to migrate resources (compute, storage, Network, Database, etc…) from Microstack to Charmed Openstack (Enterprise Edition)

Unfortunately, there’s not a great story around the migration path today. This is seen as a gap that we are aiming to close in the not too distant future.