Juju Team Updates - Week #29 2022

Hi everyone, below you can find the updates from the Canonical Juju Team for the week starting on the 18/07/2022. Have a great weekend!

cc @pedroleaoc @jameinel

• mid cycle planning sprint
  • fix timing issue removing a unit with a lxd profile
  • fix timing issue deploying a charm with an lxd profile
  • fix upgrade info for subordinate units
  • add new option for retry-provisioning --all
  • fix issue bootstrapping on azure with custom resource group
  • remove more uses of charm.URL struct

I have been working on a PR for moving upgrade-controller/model logic to the controller side and also rebuilt the sync-tool command - https://github.com/juju/juju/pull/14344

I merged a PR which fixed an issue with juju exec not outputting correctly.

Apart from that, I worked on several CI fixes (#14327, #14338, #14340, #14341, #14352, #14353, #14360).

Been working on pylibjuju to work with the coming juju 3.0. Now it can work automagically with both juju 2.9 and juju 3.0 APIs at the same time. [PR #689] [PR #691] [PR #692]

This week I spent my time looking at charms used for testing within Juju. This involved moving these charms over to Charmhub support and centralizing their location and updating tests as needed. Work is ongoing and PR incoming.

• juju 3.0 beta3 release
  • fix for removing a machine from a HA controller cluster
  • Patch that prevents excessive calls to the provider, attempting to retrieve network configuration when no instances are found.
  • Follow up to the patch above that activates a back-off for machines with unrecognised instances.
  • Enery consumption enhancement to ensure that we don’t activate LXD unless we are provisioning containers on a machine.