Juju Team Updates - Week #13 2022

Hi everyone, below you can find the updates from the Canonical Juju Team for the week starting on the 28/03/2022. Have a great weekend!

cc @pedroleaoc @jameinel

Some build number and OfficialBuild fixes:

And worked on adding CI tests to run and use a local OCI registry for hosting juju images for testing CaaS models:

Happy Week 13:

This week:

• A fair amount of work on our CI systems for how we produce OCI images. This included a large refactor to Jenkins and some smaller changes in our Makefiles.
  • Update to juju/errors to help facilitate Juju over to go 1.13 errors.
  • Prepping the update to Juju for the new version juju/errors
  • Design work on specs

Stay Groovy tlm

Juju:

• In OLM Reference, renamed and promoted the section on CLI command definitions and created another one for object and concept definitions, populating the latter with existing docs reclassified from Explanation and also with new docs.
  • Started in-depth revision of credentials docs.

Multipass (with Multipass team members):

1 Like
  • 2.9.28 release candidate
  • fix for updating mongo replicaset when controller address changes
  • managed subscription support on Azure
  • lots of work on CI and release jenkins setup to prepare for migration to new host

Oh, this is soooooo difficult for beginner jujuers. Its still very hard for me too despite working with juju for so long.

1 Like

@erik-lonroth Yeah, I’m trying to streamline the story on credentials from existing docs, talking to Juju engineers, and also looking again over your slides from that workshop you once led on Juju… Speaking of which, a question: Do you ever use multiple credentials on the same cloud, without logging out? What does the credentials situation look like then? Do you have to keep doing --credential?

So, logging out is a “juju” thing whereas cloud is a cloud credential which the controller manages.

So, I would say I use normally multiple credentials for clouds (to split costs etc. between companies, accounts etc.) and I normally swap between “admin” and my “normal-username” users on juju controllers.

I need admin to do controller activities, such as adding users, clouds etc. to controllers.

Managing the “admin” credentials (the one that bootstraps the controller) is something that can be an important decision if you are going to share the environment within a company for example. “Someone:s” cloud credential for the admin account will be in control over the controller instances.

1 Like
  • Shepherded in this patch that skips IPv6 link-local nameserves when rendering Netplan config.
  • Trivial mechanical patch for logic now unused.
  • Patch to prevent providers from caching availability zone lists for the life-time of the provider instance. This services a current roadmap item for ensuring that Juju’s provisioner dynamically accommodates changes in cloud availability zones.

Is juju supporting ipv6 soon? It would be fenomenal!

1 Like

Juju is accruing nips and tucks over time to improve IPv6 support, and there are people running IPv6 set-ups.

There are some restrictions, like in the LXD provider, that are actually vestigial and we would like to take the time to audit and remove them when we can.

The biggest issue right now is dual stack set-ups. This is due to the fact that all of our address prioritisation prefers IPv4 first.

I know @tlm is passionate about this and has landed some IPv6 improvements in the OpenStack provider recently.

1 Like