Juju support for Incus (a community fork of LXD)

I’ve compiled juju 3.6 from github repo, wanted to test lxd => incus migration. Both Lxd & Incus run on the same host (Debian Trixie / Testing). But it seems juju discovers only lxd :confused: I could not find any documentation/howtos referring to support of Incus…

Thus the questions:

• does juju support Incus?
  • are there any plans to support it if that’s not the case?

dpkg -l lxd incus

ii incus 6.0.1-1 amd64 Powerful system container and virtual machine manager - daemon

ii lxd 5.0.2+git20231211.1364ae4-5 amd64 Powerful system container and virtual machine manager - daemon

@gangaa:~# juju clouds Only clouds with registered credentials are shown. There are more clouds, use --all to see them. You can bootstrap a new controller using one of these clouds…

Clouds available on the client: Cloud Regions Default Type Credentials Source Description

localhost 1 localhost lxd 0 built-in LXD Container Hypervisor

@gangaa:~# juju list-clouds Only clouds with registered credentials are shown. There are more clouds, use --all to see them. You can bootstrap a new controller using one of these clouds…

Clouds available on the client: Cloud Regions Default Type Credentials Source Description

localhost 1 localhost lxd 0 built-in LXD Container Hypervisor

1 Like

Hi there

Indeed, Juju doesn’t support Incus, and it’s not on our immediate roadmap to implement support for it.

I don’t think the APIs have diverged much at the moment, so if you’re desperate it’s likely possible to add the cloud manually (see docs), but this is not supported at the moment.

Jon

I’m very disappointed to learn that juju doesn’t support incus.

I was disappointed when Canonical switched LXD to using snaps. Apart from the issues with snap that you are all well aware of, snap’s namespaces break ZFS snapshot support as in you cannot browse or restore files from LXD ZFS snapshots when LXD is installed via snap.

So, I was happy when LXD made its way into Debian as that meant I could install LXD snap-free and regain the full power and feature set of ZFS snapshots but then the Incus thing happened and I’m back to square one.

Just when I thought I had found the ideal container platform!