How to create and use spaces on AWS

Introduction

This mini-tutorial will guide you through the necessary steps for defining private subnets on AWS, associating them with a juju space and finally, deploying a charm on a machine that is assigned an IP address from the space you just created.

Before we begin, you first need to bootstrap a controller on AWS. You can do this by running:

juju bootstrap aws test --credential $your_aws_credential_name

Creating a new private subnet on your AWS VPC

To create the new subnet we need to do some preparation work using the AWS console. Let’s start by pointing your browser at the list of subnets on the VPC used by the bootstrapped controller.

Select any one of the public subnets that are listed there and make a mental note of the subnet’s ID and availability zones. For this example, I chose subnet b8a4ebe4 at us-east-1a.

Next, click the Create Subnet button. In the following dialog, enter a name for your subnet (I chose isolated), select your juju VPC from the list and the availability zone that matches the public subnet you selected in the previous step. Then, enter the CIDR for your private subnet. For this example, I chose 172.31.254.0/24.

In the previous step, we have created a private subnet and defined a CIDR for it. We can spin up machines in this subnet and they will receive an IP in the range we just defined. There is however, one small caveat that we need to address: the subnet has no egress! When juju tries to start a machine in the subnet and attempts to execute any operation that requires Internet access (e.g. apt-get update) that operation will fail.

To rectify this issue, we need to add a NAT gateway to a public subnet in the same AZ as the private subnet and install a routing table for our private subnet that uses the NAT gateway for egress traffic. To set this up, navigate to the NAT Gateways section of the console and click the Create NAT Gateway button. Select the public subnet in us-east-1 for the NAT (b8a4ebe4 in this example) and assign an existing (or allocate a new) elastic IP to it.

Once the NAT gateway spins up, visit the Route Tables section and click the Create route table button. In the dialog that pops up specify a name for the routing table (I used isolated) and assign it to your VPC ID.

Next, we need to associate the new routing table with our private subnet. Select the isolated routing table and click the Subnet Associations tab at the bottom of your screen. Click the Edit subnet associations button select the isolated subnet from the list.

The last thing we need to do is to add a “catch-all” route entry to the new routing table for sending all egress traffic to the NAT we have just created. To do this, click on the Routes tab and then click the Edit routes button. Add a new entry with destination 0.0.0.0/0 and select the NAT gateway as its target.

Define a space and deploy something to it

To make juju aware of the subnet we just created and to create a space for it we can run the following commands:

$ juju reload-spaces
$ juju add-space isolated 172.31.254.0/24

Finally, we can use provide a space constraint when deploying a charm to ensure that its units are placed in the space we have just created:

$ juju deploy mysql --constraints spaces=isolated

Note that due to the way that juju deals with multi-AZ setups, it will take a a bit of time before a new machine can be started in the correct AZ/subnet combination. If you are monitoring juju status output don’t be alarmed by the AZ-related errors that you might see. Just be patient; the machine will eventually spin up and the charm will be deployed.

Eventually, juju status will show the unit as active. As you can see in the status output below, the unit has been assigned with IP from the isolated subnet’s CIDR.

$ juju status
Model    Controller     Cloud/Region   Version      SLA          Timestamp
default  aws-us-east-1  aws/us-east-1  2.6.9  unsupported  11:13:58+01:00

App    Version  Status  Scale  Charm  Store       Rev  OS      Notes
mysql  5.7.27   active      1  mysql  jujucharms   58  ubuntu

Unit      Workload  Agent  Machine  Public address  Ports     Message
mysql/0*  active    idle   0        172.31.254.16   3306/tcp  Ready

Machine  State    DNS            Inst id              Series  AZ          Message
0        started  172.31.254.16  i-08920c50ec1f39cd4  xenial  us-east-1a  running

What if I need to ssh into a machine with a private IP?

Establishing an ssh connection into a machine that has been assigned a private subnet IP using the juju ssh command is not currently possible. While the new subnet does have an egress connection to the Internet, there isn’t a way for us to reach that subnet from outside the VPC.

Obviously, the security groups in place allow the controller to talk to it. In addition we can ssh into the controller machine since it has been assigned a public IP. The solution for accessing machines in private subnets is to use the controller machine as a jump-box.

We will first need to ssh into the controller and from there ssh to the actual box using our local juju client’s ssh credentials. This can be achieved with a single ssh command invocation if we specify the appropriate ProxyCommand option.

The proposed approach requires us to figure out the IP addresses of both the controller and the actual machine we need to access. To save you some time I have created the following bash function which you can add to your .bashrc (or .zshrc):

function juju-proxy-ssh {
        if [[ $# -ne 1 ]]; then
                echo "Usage: juju-proxy-ssh machine_number"
                return
        fi

controller_ip=`juju show-controller | grep api-endpoints | cut -d\' -f2 | cut -d: -f1`
        machine_ip=`juju show-machine $1 --format tabular | grep started | awk '{print $3}'`

echo "Using controller box at $controller_ip as a jump-box for accessing machine $1 at $machine_ip"
        ssh -i ~/.local/share/juju/ssh/juju_id_rsa \
                -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null \
                -o ProxyCommand="ssh -i ~/.local/share/juju/ssh/juju_id_rsa -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null ubuntu@$controller_ip nc %h %p" \
                ubuntu@$machine_ip
}

After sourcing the above function, all you need to do is to type juju-proxy-ssh and provide it with the machine ID (from the currently active model) that you wish to connect to:

$ juju-proxy-ssh 0
Using controller box at 3.90.139.110 as a jump-box for accessing machine 0 at 172.31.254.16
Warning: Permanently added '3.90.139.110' (ECDSA) to the list of known hosts.
Warning: Permanently added '172.31.254.16' (ECDSA) to the list of known hosts.
Welcome to Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.4.0-1092-aws x86_64)

* Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com
 * Management:     https://landscape.canonical.com
 * Support:        https://ubuntu.com/advantage

0 packages can be updated.
0 updates are security updates.

New release '18.04.2 LTS' available.
Run 'do-release-upgrade' to upgrade to it.

*** System restart required ***
Last login: Mon Sep 30 08:36:33 2019 from 172.31.33.185
To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
See "man sudo_root" for details.

ubuntu@ip-172-31-254-16:~$ logout
Connection to 172.31.254.16 closed.
5 Likes

@achilleasa thanks this is great!

1 Like

Should this be ‘public’ subnets ?

Yes. To be able to route egress traffic out of the VPC, the NAT gateway must be placed in a public subnet. For more information about this kind of setup you can take a look at VPC with public and private subnets (NAT) - Amazon Virtual Private Cloud

1 Like

I tried to deploy to an existing VPC with multiple subnets and all subnets get added to “alpha” space. Making changes to subnets, moving them to different spaces fails. This pretty much kills any momentum I had for running this distro in AWS.

Yes, all spaces are in alpha by default. You can carve out subnets by using:

juju add-space <space name> <CIDR>...

For example:

juju add-space new-space 172.31.16.0/20

We are working on space mutability right now, so you will be able to move subnets between spaces.

1 Like

This is given an error from nc.

ssh -i ~/.local/share/juju/ssh/juju_id_rsa \ -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null \ -o ProxyCommand=“ssh -i ~/.local/share/juju/ssh/juju_id_rsa -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null ubuntu@$controller_ip -W %h:%p” \ ubuntu@$machine_ip

That should work, hope that helps

Great post, and I am attempting to replicate this myself now…

So far I have

1.) a VPC id running
2.) a subnet for public with an NAT Gateway
3.) An Internet Gateway
4.) a subnet that’s isolated but in same VPC as the other
5.) juju can successfully show my subnets and I have named two spaces there… as well as gotten a model wired into the VPC-ID

but when I goto deploy I have an error

$ juju spaces
Name                Space ID  Subnets     
alpha               0                     
my-first-space  1         10.0.2.0/24 
                              252.2.0.0/16
my-first-space-public   2         10.0.1.0/24 
                              252.1.0.0/16

juju deploy ubuntu --constraints spaces=my-first-space-public

Now if I do deploy another way… it seems to get further but then I never get past pending status

juju deploy ubuntu --bind my-first-space

My status with each machine shows the following

juju status                                             
Model                Controller  Cloud/Region   Version  SLA          Timestamp
my-first-model  cntrl        aws/us-best-1  2.8.7    unsupported  13:17:15+02:00

App     Version  Status   Scale  Charm   Store       Channel  Rev  OS      Message
ubuntu           waiting    0/1  ubuntu  charmstore            18  ubuntu  waiting for machine

Unit      Workload  Agent       Machine  Public address  Ports  Message
ubuntu/4  waiting   allocating  4                               waiting for machine

Machine  State    DNS            Inst id              Series  AZ          Message
3        pending  3.1.12.3  i-some_id_num  bionic  us-west-1b  running
4        down                    pending              bionic              matching subnets to zones: cannot use space "alpha" as deployment target: no subnets

I thought maybe I had to constrain the deployment to the same AZ as the subnet… so I did that at the model level but still nothing changed and juju’s deployed ubuntu never really becomes available

EDIT:

The good news is… I got juju ubuntu charm started status on the public subnet… now retrying on the private one… but having a tricky time adding a unit with the space constraint… or how to deploy two instances of the ubuntu application in the same model

EDIT2:

okay wow… after some finagling and gnashing of teeth… I got a charm deployed in each space… though with a command different from the poster

juju deploy mongodb --bind <the_space_you_want>

I want to add for those unaware… this doesn’t currently work to SSH from the controller when using jimm.jujucharms.com as your JAAS controller… likely not allowed and you need to run your own controller with the rules allowing that

% juju-proxy-ssh 14
Using controller box at jimm.jujucharms.com as a jump-box for accessing machine 14 at 44.0.8.8
1 Like

This is ninja.

1 Like