Handling Temporary Errors in Charms

There are a few types of errors that can occur while a charm is handling an event that are expected to resolve within a fairly short timeframe without human intervention, and can occur at any point during the event handling, despite Juju’s efforts to provide a stable snapshot of the model state.

Common examples are an issue communicating with Pebble, or communicating directly with Kubernetes (with LightKube for example), or more generally working with any workload or external API. A typical example is:

def _service_is_running(self):
    if not self.container.can_connect():
        return False
    try:
        service = self.container.get_service(self._service_name)
    except (ops.ModelError, ops.pebble.ConnectionError):
        return False
    return service.is_running()

Let’s take a dive into this pattern. We’ll use Pebble as an example, where we want to do a simple replan of the workload:

container.replan()

If Pebble can’t be reached, then this will raise a ConnectionError and the charm will enter an error state. In some cases, that might be the right thing to do! However, we’d rather avoid the error state unless human intervention is required to fix the problem, and we’re confident that in most cases this is actually just a temporary issue and trying again after a short time will solve the problem.

A common pattern is to check Pebble first, and defer if it’s not available:

:warning: Don’t use this code - there’s a better alternative below!

if not container.can_connect():
    event.defer()
    return
container.replan()

A problem with this approach is that can_connect() doesn’t guarantee that Pebble will be reachable the next time the charm tries to communicate with it - just that it was at that point in time. This means that we’ve introduced a race condition where the can_connect() can succeed but the replan() fails, and we again end up in an error state. Let’s try to fix that:

:warning: Don’t use this code - there’s a better alternative below!

if not container.can_connect():
    event.defer()
    return
try:
    container.replan()
except ops.pebble.ConnectionError:
    event.defer()
    return

However, it’s clear now that the can_connect() call isn’t doing anything useful - it’s pinging Pebble but most of the time we expect Pebble will be available (so it’s not required) and when it’s not we already have the try/except to handle that. Let’s make an attempt to simplify the code:

try:
    container.replan()
    event.defer()
    return

We’re pretty sure that when we do get this failure, it’s a temporary problem - perhaps there’s high load, or some temporary networking issues. One issue with using defer() is that we don’t know, or have any control over, when the event handler will be retried. defer() also restarts the entire handler, so any work we’ve already done will get repeated, which is wasteful. Let’s adjust the code so that we give Pebble a few chances:

for attempt in range(MAX_PEBBLE_RETRIES):
    try:
        container.replan()
        break
        time.sleep(PEBBLE_RETRY_DELAY * attempt)
else:
    event.defer()
    return

tenacity is a really nice library providing decorators and context managers that handle different backoff mechanisms, attempt limits, and so forth - but if you want to keep your dependencies to a minimum, it’s simple enough to have something like the above as reusable code within your charm.

At this point, if Pebble is responding, then we’ll get our replan() executed in essentially the same time as if we just called it (certainly faster than if we guarded with can_connect()), and if there’s an issue with Pebble, we’ll retry until we’re confident that the problem isn’t going to resolve itself within a timeframe we’re comfortable with (perhaps a couple of minutes - remembering that the Charm won’t handle other events while it’s sleeping between retries). If Pebble is failing longer than that, do we really want to defer? That would be appropriate if we believe that the issue will resolve itself, but if Pebble has been unreachable this long, it’s likely that someone needs to investigate what’s happening - ie. manual intervention is required, and a Juju error state is appropriate in that case. Let’s adjust the code again:

try:
        container.replan()
        break
        if attempt >= MAX_PEBBLE_RETRIES - 1:
            raise

The only time we should expect Pebble to be unavailable is during the setup phase of a charm’s lifecycle. During this phase, we would generally expect another event to occur that would also trigger the work we’re doing and so simply exiting (with success) is often the best choice.

Let’s put this together into a simple, reusable, method with some example use:

def retry_pebble(func):
    @functools.wraps(func)
    def wrapped(*args, **kwargs):
        attempt = 0
        while True:
            attempt += 1
            logger.debug("Attempt %d at calling %s.", attempt, func.__name__)
            try:
                return func(*args, **kwargs)
                if attempt >= MAX_PEBBLE_RETRIES:
                    raise
    return wrapped

class MyCharm(ops.CharmBase):
    def __init__(self, framework):
        super().__init__(framework)
        for container in self.containers:
            container.replan = retry_pebble(container.replan)
            # Also wrap the other container methods.

And use that for our replan in a few situations, as well as our friend can_connect:

def _on_install(self, event):
    try:
        self.containers[CONTAINER_NAME].replan()
        logger.info("Unable to connect to Pebble - setup will continue later.")

def _on_pebble_ready(self, event):
    try:
        event.workload.replan()
        logger.warning("Unable to connect to Pebble.")
        event.defer()

def _on_leader_changed(self, event):
    try:
        raise RuntimeError("Pebble appears to be down - please investigate!")

def _on_replan_action(self, event):
    try:
        event.fail("Unable to connect to Pebble.")
        return

def _on_collect_status(self, event):
    if not self.containers[CONTAINER_NAME].can_connect():
        event.set_status(ops.WaitingStatus("Waiting for Pebble."))
5 Likes

Thanks for putting this together!

Wouldn’t this on the first attempt retry immediately? Perhaps attempt + 1 or just a fixed value sleep would work?

The other input on

try:
        container.replan()
        break
else:
    event.defer()
    return

is that on the last execution of the loop, if things are still not working, the sleep is invoked again before calling event.defer() without retrying. So the code pays the price of a sleep without getting the benefit of another retry. There are a few ways to address that (e.g., just doing another replan before defer and doing the defer in the exception block or not doing the sleep on the last run of the loop. I haven’t seen any clean solutions for that problem though

1 Like

This is asking for an infinite loop :wink:. Perhaps put the exit condition in the while loop to reduce the chance that the exit condition check is never reached?

Personally I would find this confusing. During a code review in a PR, e.g., when introducing a new hook or making a modification to that hook this part of the code might not get changed so it’s not part of the PR. It wouldn’t be obvious that a retry is being added to this call. Perhaps it would be more explicit to add this wrapper on each function call?

1 Like

What if… we bake this retry behaviour into ops, and get rid of ‘can_connect’ altogether? What’s the use case for can_connect after all?

2 Likes

Ah, indeed. I originally had an exponential retry period, and we switched it over to this, but indeed it should always be at least one. For the purpose of the example, a fixed period is probably also fine.

True. An if around the sleep is probably clean enough. Or a do/while style loop with while True :laughing: .

I personally don’t mind while True loops in Python, as long as they are short and clearly will exit. For generic code, though, you're probably right and it would be better to be safe. It's a little tricky because if the loop does reach the limit the intention is to raise the last ConnectionError, so a while attempt < MAX_PEBBLE_RETRIES` would have to raise a fresh exception or simply be a safety guard. I’ll work on it.

Yes, that probably is better, and closer to what I would naturally write (and if you’re going to use something like tenacity then it’s probably just decorating the method appropriately, and making sure that’s fairly self-contained.

I would quite like to do this, at least optionally (which is one reason that the example decorates the container methods). @benhoyt what’s your opinion on that?

I struggle to find a use-case. Even in a point-in-time check like a collect-status handler, I think you generally ought to be checking that the container is in the condition you expect (e.g. a service is running, a config file exists) rather than just checking that Pebble responds.

exactly. If pebble can’t connect, then all else is basically pointless as you have no workload to configure. So It’d make sense for me to wrap all pebble interactions in a tenacious call by opt-in/out default

1 Like

What if… we bake this retry behaviour into ops

I would quite like to do this, at least optionally (which is one reason that the example decorates the container methods). @benhoyt what’s your opinion on that?

I’m not opposed to it, as long as it’s not too long a timeout or too many retries. We could keep the low-level pebble.py Client methods non-retrying, and make the higher-level model.Container methods retrying. I guess I’d also want to think through further when this can happen, and if retrying is always the right thing to do.

1 Like

Opened an ops issue to keep track of this (and hopefully take action at some point).