Getting stuck bootstrapping LXD on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Just now tried experimenting with LXD on my new installation of Ubuntu 20.04… but seeing it hang at the bootstrap step

(base) emcp@2600k:~$ juju bootstrap
Clouds
aws
aws-china
aws-gov
azure
azure-china
cloudsigma
google
joyent
localhost
oracle
oracle-classic
rackspace

Select a cloud [localhost]: localhost

Enter a name for the Controller [localhost-localhost]: 

Creating Juju controller "localhost-localhost" on localhost/localhost
Looking for packaged Juju agent version 2.7.6 for amd64
To configure your system to better support LXD containers, please see: https://github.com/lxc/lxd/blob/master/doc/production-setup.md
Launching controller instance(s) on localhost/localhost...
  -- creating container

then after a while it breaks my ssh session with

client_loop: send disconnect: Broken pipe     

EDIT: Seems it totally crashed mid-bootstrap and now I need to wipe whatever it started and start over.

any tips to debug it? thinking of reinstalling 20.04 anyway since I am having VNC troubles as well (Tiger VNC wiped tight vnc)

When I try to get back in, my PC is not reachable… forcing me to reboot and login with keyboard and mouse… once inside I get this

(base) emcp@2600k:~$ juju clouds --debug
20:50:19 INFO  juju.cmd supercommand.go:83 running juju [2.7.6  gc go1.10.4]
20:50:19 DEBUG juju.cmd supercommand.go:84   args: []string{"/snap/juju/11454/bin/juju", "clouds", "--debug"}
20:50:19 INFO  juju.util.exec exec.go:209 run result: exit status 1
20:50:19 DEBUG juju.kubernetes.provider detectcloud.go:24 failed to query local microk8s: microk8s is not installed: microk8s not found
20:50:19 WARN  cmd list.go:140 no API addresses
ERROR cmd: error out silently
20:50:19 DEBUG cmd supercommand.go:519 error stack: 
cmd: error out silently
/build/juju/parts/juju/go/src/github.com/juju/juju/cmd/juju/cloud/list.go:182: 

I tried deleting and re-installing juju… now it complains on another step

(base) emcp@2600k:~$ snap install juju --classic
juju 2.7.6 from Canonical✓ installed
(base) emcp@2600k:~$ juju bootstrap
Clouds
aws
aws-china
aws-gov
azure
azure-china
cloudsigma
google
joyent
localhost
oracle
oracle-classic
rackspace

Select a cloud [localhost]: 

Enter a name for the Controller [localhost-localhost]: lxd-host

Creating Juju controller "lxd-host" on localhost/localhost
Looking for packaged Juju agent version 2.7.6 for amd64
To configure your system to better support LXD containers, please see: https://github.com/lxc/lxd/blob/master/doc/production-setup.md
Launching controller instance(s) on localhost/localhost...
 - Create instance from image: Failed to run: zfs clone default/images/93b9eeb85479af2029203b4a56a2f1fdca6a0e1bf23cdc26b567790bf0f3f3bd@readonly default/containerERROR failed to bootstrap model: cannot start bootstrap instance in availability zone "2600k": Create instance from image: Failed to run: zfs clone default/images/93b9eeb85479af2029203b4a56a2f1fdca6a0e1bf23cdc26b567790bf0f3f3bd@readonly default/containers/juju-3134f4-0: cannot open 'default/images/93b9eeb85479af2029203b4a56a2f1fdca6a0e1bf23cdc26b567790bf0f3f3bd@readonly': dataset does not exist

i even wiped my entire .local/share/juju in an effort to get it unstuck but same error

Can you launch lxd containers on this machine? And if so, can you ping created containers, and exec into them from the host?

I’d try doing something like:

lxc launch ubuntu:20.04 
lxc list
ping <the ip of the container you just made>
lxc shell <the name of the container you just launched>

Since you’ve having other networking related issues on the host, and since the second attempt at launching a container failed with an interesting zfs error, I think that the first step is to verify that you can launch and connect to containers. Then you can move on to troubleshooting Juju, if necessary :slight_smile:

seems to freeze on this step

I’ll take this up with the LXD forum then

https://discuss.linuxcontainers.org/t/lxc-launch-freezes-on-ubuntu-20-04/7880

thanks for the tips

1 Like