Fresh “OpenStack with Nova-LXD” deployment - issues

Hello all,

I just successfully built “OpenStack with Nova-LXD” with conjure-up and am able to launch instances without issue. The instances fail to get an IP address though, whether I use the “external” network, or the “internal” network - also the “internal” network conjure-up configured has no associated gateway address on the machine anywhere.

Further to that, I uploaded a known good CentOS qcow2 image that I’ve had loaded and working in DevStack or PackStack before (don’t recall which, I’ve been through every possible option 23 times trying to get all this working), and Horizon is telling me “… unacceptable: Bad image format”

Any help or pointers for troubleshooting would be GREATLY appreciated!

Ubuntu 18.04.1 server btw, wired networking.

I can’t console into any of the instances either.

I went in and edited the external subnet and enabled DHCP, then I built a new instance using it and it still didn’t get an IP.

Instances on the internal network get IP addresses, but I guess the OpenStack router NATs them? Because I can’t reach that subnet - and since I can’t console in, I can’t verify if they have any connectivity :confused:

Thank you for your post. Correct: in an all-in-one deployment, the tenant/project network is behind a neutron router (NAT). In order to access them from the host, or outside the host, a floating ip address range would need to be defined, and a floating ip address would need to be assigned to the instance.

It sounds like you are wanting to launch instances in the deployed cloud, and have those instances wired with L2 access to your local network (as well as L3 addresses from your local network). That can be done, but that is not the scenario provided by the “openstack with novalxd” conjure-up spell.

I’ve tested the current conjure-up release on a single machine, and I’m able to launch instances and ssh into them. If you’re seeing that that isn’t working, please raise a bug against the spell with additional detail. Thanks again!

I’m a network guy, I’ve been doing networking and servers for nearly 20 years, so this should all be pretty straight forward for me, but I am so lost it’s not even funny.

I think I have been screwing around with OpenStack on and off for well over 6 months now and for the life of me I can’t get it to work in this one simple way I am trying to use it.

In order to access them from the host, or outside the host, a floating ip address range would need to be defined, and a floating ip address would need to be assigned to the instance.

I’ve been playing with it for over an hour now and I can’t figure this out. When I try to associate a floating IP there are no ports available - I read somewhere about creating a new router, so I tried that, and still no ports available - I read somewhere about adding more interfaces to the router, so I gave it one in my internal network too, still no ports available.

As I’ve exhausted all the documentation and resources I can find, and I’m seriously feeling just defeated with this entire thing and ready to give up entirely and just never get OpenStack working the way I want (which is entirely for learning purposes at that and I’ll pretty much discard as soon as I do - and I can’t even achieve this) - could you point me at some documentation that could help me with this “In order to access them from the host, or outside the host, a floating ip address range would need to be defined, and a floating ip address would need to be assigned to the instance.” please and thanks?

Assuming this is an all-in-one development/test style deployment, the following long-form procedure doc should be helpful.

https://docs.openstack.org/charm-guide/latest/openstack-on-lxd.html

Awesome, thank you!!

Hi there, slightly off topic but how did you install Openstack with Nova-LXD, i am trying to follow the Ubuntu guide but its not working?