Custom Theme for openstack-dashboard

I am having difficulty following the documentation for adding a custom theme to the openstack-dashboard charm. I need someone to draw it out for me in crayons. Seriously, explain it to me like I am 5 years old.

All I want to do is change the brand color of the Ubuntu theme from orange to purple and add my company’s logo to the logon splash page and the navbar.

To do this…

1. I copied all folders and files for the ubuntu theme I found in /var/lib/openstack-dashboard/static/themes/ubuntu/
  2. Renamed the folder “ubuntu” to a custom name
  3. Changed all the orange color codes to purple in _variables.scss
  4. Modified the following lines in _styles.scss to point to my company logos in SVG format

/* Ubuntu styles */
 [...]
 .navbar-brand {
   background-image: url("/static/themes/ubuntu/img/logo-ubuntu-white.svg");

/* Login splash screen */
 [...]
 &:after {
       background-image: url("/static/themes/ubuntu/img/logo-ubuntu-orange.svg");

To:

/* Ubuntu styles */
 [...]
 .navbar-brand {
   background-image: url("/themes/custom/adaxa/img/logo-acc-navbar.svg");

/* Login splash screen */
 [...]
 &:after {
       background-image: url("/themes/custom/adaxa/img/logo-acc-color.svg");
  1. Set AVAILABLE_THEMES in local_settings.py to a list of themes

2. Added local_settings.py to the tgz file

the resulting tgz file looks like this

3. Turned off the configuration option “ubuntu-theme” and turned on the option “custom-theme”. The configuration option “default-theme” was already unset so I left it alone
    juju config openstack-dashboard custom-theme=true ubuntu-theme=no

4. Added the new custome theme to the charm
    juju attach-resource openstack-dashboard theme=theme.tgz

• the contents of the tgz were unpacked to /usr/share/openstack-dashboard/openstack_dashboard/themes/custom

After apache restarts, I am able to select my custom theme and the brand color is set correctly. However, the logos do not render. Both the navbar and logon splash page do not show the new logo

What am I doing wrong?

Per discussion on IRC we have created a bug for custom themes in the openstack-dashboard charm: LP #1897805 [0].

[0] Bug #1897805 “Collectstatic needs to be run for custom themes” : Bugs : OpenStack openstack-dashboard charm

1 Like

Thanks @thedac! Just some more information for the bug reported, this is what the pages looking like when i inspect them