Charmcraft release 1.6.0 – Call for testing!

Charmcraft supports the development of operators using the Charmed Operator Framework. It enables developers to build, upload and release operators on Charmhub and collaboration through charm libraries.

This new version was just released to candidate channel, we’d appreciate any tests on this, please report here any issues you find. Once we find this is solid enough, we will release it to stable.

It includes the following changes:

• Several performance related improvements:

• Reuse already installed dependencies from last run if requirements didn’t change

• Faster launch of existing containers when packing charms

• Improved user experience:

• Show lifecycle step progress (related issue)

• The deprecated ‘build’ command is now hidden and ‘pack’ appears more prominently in the help messages (related issue)

• Better error messages in a couple of commands

• Fixed interaction with user when asking if to install Multipass in Windows (related issue)

• Enabled craftcl from Craft Parts scriptlets to be able to run the overridden step’s built-in handler (related issue)

• Full logs from building container are always retrieved, even after a success pack (related issue)

• Updated the ops framework version in the init template

• Fixed a bug in libraries handling so disk paths are always importable (related issue)

• Fixed which remote image was used by Multipass provider

• Save the content of CHARMCRAFT_IMAGE_INFO environment variable into the Charm’s manifest

Use Charmcraft to:

We recommend the Charmed Operator Framework for charm development, but Charmcraft will help you publish charms written in any language. The Charmed Operator Framework enables the development of operators in a simple and straightforward way, using standard Python structures to allow for clean, maintainable, and reusable code.

Happy charming!

2 Likes

I’m giving it a spin on my Ubuntu box. Thus far, charmcraft pack, charmcraft login, and some commands to query the store all work swimmingly. I’ll keep using the candidate, and poke this thread if I run into any trouble!

1 Like

Released to stable channels now!

• (latest)/stable
  • 1.x/stable
  • 1.6/stable

I temporarily reverted latest/stable to v1.5 because we found the usage of too many charms relying on an unpbublished feature (using CHARMCRAFT_* environment variables in charmcraft.yaml, while the proper name for those are CRAFT_*); I’ll re-release the same versions to stable again in a couple of days after those charms are fixed. Sorry if this complicates you. Glad to help on any issue, don’t hesitate to ping me directly, thanks!

Aaaand 1.6 is now in stable, again.

1 Like