Add multiple tracks for multiple charms [Waltz]

The following bundle and charm

finos-waltz-bundle

finos-waltz-k8s

require the following tracks

Thanks!

Hi there,

For this and your other request, I wonder - if you need this level of granularity, would you benefit from simply pinning specific revisions in your bundles?

(I don’t know how to pin revisions in bundles or with plain juju deploy for Charmhub (ch:) charms ).

I can certainly create these tracks, but as mentioned above it looks like an antipattern for tracks. I’m even curious as to what the track version actually means in this case. Is it the version of Waltz itself? the charm? If it’s the version of Waltz, would it be better to have a generic charm to which the version of Waltz to deploy is given as a parameter? If not, won’t you end up overwhelmed by the burden of maintaining and updating charms in all these tracks?

Anyway, just some thoughts, as I said I’m OK to create the tracks and will do so in a couple of hours once I get some other things out of the way.

• Danie

For both applications the track represents the app version. It is the only way we have to express the application version at the time of the deployment and refresh. We can’t do juju deploy --version= or juju deploy workload_version=. The feature is not there and I think that would be even more of an anti pattern: it can blindly take you to a different channel.

For a sane versioning system, tracks are sustainable: you create one per major. In the case of these two applications, that is not the case (yet). I will work with them to make the versions more sensible.

For Legend, they version by date: yyyy-mm-dd. They broke compatibility more than once between two months, which tells me it can happen again. That’s why we decided to create a track for each month and use bundle overlays for the “day” releases if people really want it. I don’t want to start teaching the average user how to use juju deploy --resource–that will certainly break on the hands of a cocky someone who think they can mix-and-match charm and resource revisions.

For Waltz, you are right. I will give it some more thought.

I edited the posts.

Thanks for this,
Pedro

Hello,

Thanks for considering this.

In the interest of not delaying/blocking you, I’ve created the tracks:

$ for charmname in finos-waltz-k8s finos-waltz-bundle; do for minor in $(seq 39 49); do ./maketrack.py $charmname 1.$minor; done; done
Added track 1.39 to charm finos-waltz-k8s (Icg2JhoVUDCHT3d5glBiI5eUzgxLTY6a)
Added track 1.40 to charm finos-waltz-k8s (Icg2JhoVUDCHT3d5glBiI5eUzgxLTY6a)
Added track 1.41 to charm finos-waltz-k8s (Icg2JhoVUDCHT3d5glBiI5eUzgxLTY6a)
Added track 1.42 to charm finos-waltz-k8s (Icg2JhoVUDCHT3d5glBiI5eUzgxLTY6a)
Added track 1.43 to charm finos-waltz-k8s (Icg2JhoVUDCHT3d5glBiI5eUzgxLTY6a)
Added track 1.44 to charm finos-waltz-k8s (Icg2JhoVUDCHT3d5glBiI5eUzgxLTY6a)
Added track 1.45 to charm finos-waltz-k8s (Icg2JhoVUDCHT3d5glBiI5eUzgxLTY6a)
Added track 1.46 to charm finos-waltz-k8s (Icg2JhoVUDCHT3d5glBiI5eUzgxLTY6a)
Added track 1.47 to charm finos-waltz-k8s (Icg2JhoVUDCHT3d5glBiI5eUzgxLTY6a)
Added track 1.48 to charm finos-waltz-k8s (Icg2JhoVUDCHT3d5glBiI5eUzgxLTY6a)
Added track 1.49 to charm finos-waltz-k8s (Icg2JhoVUDCHT3d5glBiI5eUzgxLTY6a)
Added track 1.39 to charm finos-waltz-bundle (nDGVpu52sz4m9Ek3lS3yGk79nSSfnOpC)
Added track 1.40 to charm finos-waltz-bundle (nDGVpu52sz4m9Ek3lS3yGk79nSSfnOpC)
Added track 1.41 to charm finos-waltz-bundle (nDGVpu52sz4m9Ek3lS3yGk79nSSfnOpC)
Added track 1.42 to charm finos-waltz-bundle (nDGVpu52sz4m9Ek3lS3yGk79nSSfnOpC)
Added track 1.43 to charm finos-waltz-bundle (nDGVpu52sz4m9Ek3lS3yGk79nSSfnOpC)
Added track 1.44 to charm finos-waltz-bundle (nDGVpu52sz4m9Ek3lS3yGk79nSSfnOpC)
Added track 1.45 to charm finos-waltz-bundle (nDGVpu52sz4m9Ek3lS3yGk79nSSfnOpC)
Added track 1.46 to charm finos-waltz-bundle (nDGVpu52sz4m9Ek3lS3yGk79nSSfnOpC)
Added track 1.47 to charm finos-waltz-bundle (nDGVpu52sz4m9Ek3lS3yGk79nSSfnOpC)
Added track 1.48 to charm finos-waltz-bundle (nDGVpu52sz4m9Ek3lS3yGk79nSSfnOpC)
Added track 1.49 to charm finos-waltz-bundle (nDGVpu52sz4m9Ek3lS3yGk79nSSfnOpC)

If you decide not to use them let me know and I can delete them.

Note though, that once charms have been released to a track, I can no longer delete it without messing things up.

• Daniel

Hello,

Can you also add the tracks for 1.50-1.70 or so? We have reached version 1.50 and we can’t publish it to the 1.50 track, as you can see here: https://github.com/finos/waltz-juju-bundle/actions/runs/5216835669/jobs/9415976512

Best regards,

Claudiu Belu

Done :slight_smile:

Create the 1.50 track for 'finos-waltz-k8s' charm with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
{'num_tracks_created': 1}
Create the 1.51 track for 'finos-waltz-k8s' charm with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.52 track for 'finos-waltz-k8s' charm with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.53 track for 'finos-waltz-k8s' charm with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.54 track for 'finos-waltz-k8s' charm with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.55 track for 'finos-waltz-k8s' charm with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.56 track for 'finos-waltz-k8s' charm with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.57 track for 'finos-waltz-k8s' charm with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.58 track for 'finos-waltz-k8s' charm with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.59 track for 'finos-waltz-k8s' charm with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.60 track for 'finos-waltz-k8s' charm with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.61 track for 'finos-waltz-k8s' charm with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.62 track for 'finos-waltz-k8s' charm with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.63 track for 'finos-waltz-k8s' charm with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.64 track for 'finos-waltz-k8s' charm with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.65 track for 'finos-waltz-k8s' charm with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.66 track for 'finos-waltz-k8s' charm with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.67 track for 'finos-waltz-k8s' charm with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.68 track for 'finos-waltz-k8s' charm with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.69 track for 'finos-waltz-k8s' charm with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.70 track for 'finos-waltz-k8s' charm with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.50 track for 'finos-waltz-bundle' charm with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage

Create the 1.51 track for 'finos-waltz-bundle' charm-bundle with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.52 track for 'finos-waltz-bundle' charm-bundle with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.53 track for 'finos-waltz-bundle' charm-bundle with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.54 track for 'finos-waltz-bundle' charm-bundle with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.55 track for 'finos-waltz-bundle' charm-bundle with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.56 track for 'finos-waltz-bundle' charm-bundle with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.57 track for 'finos-waltz-bundle' charm-bundle with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.58 track for 'finos-waltz-bundle' charm-bundle with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.59 track for 'finos-waltz-bundle' charm-bundle with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.60 track for 'finos-waltz-bundle' charm-bundle with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.61 track for 'finos-waltz-bundle' charm-bundle with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.62 track for 'finos-waltz-bundle' charm-bundle with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.63 track for 'finos-waltz-bundle' charm-bundle with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.64 track for 'finos-waltz-bundle' charm-bundle with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.65 track for 'finos-waltz-bundle' charm-bundle with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.66 track for 'finos-waltz-bundle' charm-bundle with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.67 track for 'finos-waltz-bundle' charm-bundle with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.68 track for 'finos-waltz-bundle' charm-bundle with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.69 track for 'finos-waltz-bundle' charm-bundle with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage
Create the 1.70 track for 'finos-waltz-bundle' charm-bundle with None version-pattern and None automatic-phasing-percentage