12-Factor Web development in Rockcraft and Charmcraft News

It has been a little while since my last post when we made Flask support in Charmcraft and Rockcraft stable. We have made a lot of progress since then which I’m keen to share with you!

The biggest news is that we are expanding support to Django, Go and FastAPI! All of them are currently still experimental and are available on the latest/edge channel of Rockcraft and Charmcraft if you would like to try them out. We’re working hard on documentation, the getting started tutorial for Django Rocks is available now and we also have a draft getting started tutorial for Django in Charmcraft which we’re working to publish soon. Please take a look at these and we’re eager for your feedback!

Speaking of feedback, we have had amazing support with UX research both internally and from outside Canonical. We would love to do more of this, please get in touch with me here or on our Matrix channel if you would like to participate. The feedback we have received have already led to improvements in the tutorials and other documentation we publish, so that you to everyone that participated!

We have also been working on expanding the documentation for Flask. Here are some new pages and key existing pages we have published:

In addition we have been making several improvements:

• Added support for Rabbitmq Server and Rabbitmq K8S
  • Added support for SAML
  • Added support for S3
  • Added support for pebble log forwarding. When using a supported Juju version, Application logs are now sent to stdout of the application container and forwarded to observability by pebble.
  • Block the charm when required integrations are missing
  • Added support for Charmcraft fetch-libs, now you can use charmcraft fetch-libs to download all the required libraries rather than having to download them individually
7 Likes