Set up remote Elasticsearch monitoring of an Elasticsearch cluster

Key Value
Summary Manage and monitor Elasticsearch by exporting your cluster data to another cluster to be visualized, analyzed, and monitored.
Categories deploy-applications
Difficulty 4
Author James Beedy, Omnivector Solutions

Introduction

Oftentimes it is useful to manage and monitor Elasticsearch by exporting your cluster data to another cluster to be visualized, analyzed, monitored, etc etc.

Architecture

To do this, you need two separate Elasticsearch clusters; a primary datastore, and a second for your monitoring/management datastore.

Kibana will connect to the second of the two clusters, the cluster containing the monitoring data of the primary. This will allow you to monitor and manage your primary cluster using Kibana.

Deploy applications

We’ll use Juju to deploy our base search appliance:

$ juju add-model t1
$ juju deploy -n 3 cs:~omnivector/elasticsearch es-primary --series bionic
$ juju deploy cs:~omnivector/elasticsearch es-secondary --series bionic
$ juju deploy cs:~omnivector/kibana kibana --series bionic

# workaround to fix a charm bug, we will fix it later in the charm.
$ juju run --application es-primary 'mkdir /etc/elasticsearch/discovery-file'

Relate

$ juju relate kibana:elasticsearch es-primary:client
$ juju relate kibana:elasticsearch es-secondary:client

Expose

$ juju expose es-primary
$ juju expose kibana

Intended model status

Running the juju status command should provide output similar to the following:

Model  Controller  Cloud/Region        Version  SLA          Timestamp
t1     k1          aws/ap-southeast-2  2.9.7.1  unsupported  15:44:13+10:00

App           Version  Status  Scale  Charm          Store       Channel  Rev  OS      Message
es-primary    7.13.2   active      3  elasticsearch  charmstore  stable    40  ubuntu  Elasticsearch Running - 3 x all nodes
es-secondary  7.13.2   active      1  elasticsearch  charmstore  stable    40  ubuntu  Elasticsearch Running - 1 x all nodes
kibana        7.13.2   active      1  kibana         charmstore  stable    12  ubuntu  Kibana available

Unit             Workload  Agent  Machine  Public address  Ports              Message
es-primary/0*    active    idle   0        13.211.162.37   9200/tcp,9300/tcp  Elasticsearch Running - 3 x all nodes
es-primary/1     active    idle   1        13.210.135.157  9200/tcp,9300/tcp  Elasticsearch Running - 3 x all nodes
es-primary/2     active    idle   2        3.25.181.245    9200/tcp,9300/tcp  Elasticsearch Running - 3 x all nodes
es-secondary/0*  active    idle   3        52.65.195.228   9200/tcp,9300/tcp  Elasticsearch Running - 1 x all nodes
kibana/0*        active    idle   4        3.25.191.251    80/tcp             Kibana available

Machine  State    DNS             Inst id              Series  AZ               Message
0        started  13.211.162.37   i-0dbcfdc188b3efed8  bionic  ap-southeast-2a  running
1        started  13.210.135.157  i-0a71104c710fe220e  bionic  ap-southeast-2b  running
2        started  3.25.181.245    i-09ff45f182bfae9c6  bionic  ap-southeast-2c  running
3        started  52.65.195.228   i-08b0afa35d7931c8f  bionic  ap-southeast-2a  running
4        started  3.25.191.251    i-0b940e4aed0f9788a  bionic  ap-southeast-2b  running

Relation provider    Requirer              Interface      Type     Message
es-primary:client    kibana:elasticsearch  elasticsearch  regular
es-primary:member    es-primary:member     elasticsearch  peer
es-secondary:client  kibana:elasticsearch  elasticsearch  regular
es-secondary:member  es-secondary:member   elasticsearch  peer

Storage Unit    Storage id  Type        Pool    Mountpoint  Size    Status    Message
es-primary/0    data/0      filesystem  rootfs              7.7GiB  attached
es-primary/1    data/1      filesystem  rootfs              7.7GiB  attached
es-primary/2    data/2      filesystem  rootfs              7.7GiB  attached
es-secondary/0  data/3      filesystem  rootfs              7.7GiB  attached

Given the above environment, there are a set of ops that will get us from this initial deploy to one where the components are configured in the way described above.

Stop Elasticsearch and Kibana

Duration: 1:00

Stopping services will enable aggressive configuration changes outside of the charms’ hook execution cycle:

juju run --application es-primary "service elasticsearch stop"

juju run --application es-secondary "service elasticsearch stop"

juju run --application kibana "service kibana stop"

# workaround to fix a charm bug, we will fix it later in the charm.
juju run --application kibana "sudo chown -R kibana:kibana /etc/kibana"

Enable monitoring on the primary node

Define a configuration file, es-primary-custom-config.yaml, with the following data:

# es-primary-custom-config.yaml
xpack.monitoring.enabled: true
xpack.monitoring.collection.enabled: true
xpack.monitoring.exporters:
  es-secondary:
    type: http
    host: ["http://<es-secondary-ip>:9200"]

Apply configuration changes

juju config es-primary custom-config="$(cat es-primary-custom-config.yaml)"

Enable monitoring on the secondary node

juju config es-secondary custom-config="xpack.monitoring.enabled: false"

Restart ElasticSearch

Restarting the search servers will apply their new configuration:

juju run --application es-primary "service elasticsearch start"
juju run --application es-secondary "service elasticsearch start"

Re-configure Kibana

Duration: 5:00

Delete old indices from secondary node

juju run --unit es-secondary/0 'curl -XDELETE http://localhost:9200/.monitoring-*'
juju run --unit es-secondary/0 'curl -XDELETE http://localhost:9200/.kibana*'

Restart Kibana

juju run --application kibana "service kibana start"

Verify

Duration: 3:00

At this point you should be able to log into the Kibana HTTP GUI and verify the es-primary nodes are appearing there:

Finish

The upcoming release of the Omnivector Elasticsearch charms will include support for 7.x as well as support for this functionality as a built in automation.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks @jamesbeedy. The threads in this topic support a “magic” Markdown syntax that will enable them to be rendered as nice HTML at Juju | The simplest way to deploy and maintain applications in the cloud.

I’ll add a task to my list to tweak this one. Hopefully you won’t mind the edits.

1 Like

That’s awesome @timClicks - thank you!

This bundle contains support for 7.x, xpack, security, remote monitoring (what is mentioned above), aws direct attached storage (i3en), etc, etc. We are going to be putting in more cycles to the elastics.co stuff here shortly, including the documentation. These are just the early bits…

It would be really cool to get some feedback on the charm code here, as I’m the only one who has read it thus far. I’ve been pretty low on bandwidth, but managed to get a few cycles in and polish this charm up a bit. I used the primitives available to the best of my ability but would be great for them to get a second glance. Any takers?

Hi @jamesbeedy
I was going through the doc and found there are three issues:

• xenial(only has python3.5 installed) is the supported series in metadata but the charm uses f string formating which requires python3.6+;
  • the charm writes to /etc/elasticsearch/discovery-file/unicast_hosts.txt but the parent directory does not exist;
  • /etc/kibana/kibana.yaml was created by root and the kibana service running by kibana user which does not have permission to access it;

I tried to get a PR to fix them but I found the repo has already been archived.
I was thinking we probably should archive this post for less confusion or get a fix on the charm.
Would you give an idea on this?

Cheers

Hello @kelvin.liu :wave:

Can we archive the post please? Thank you!

1 Like