Options for Production Controllers

Concerning production controllers, there are a few things I was hoping to get out in the open and get some input on, and possibly get into the docs as well.

1. When deploying a controller, what are my options for SSL/TLS?

• I see some bootstrap configs for lets-encrypt, and some config for what looks like manual key/cert specification. At first glance Iā€™m not how to take advantage of these. Some docs/example on this would be super.
  2. What are my options for custom identity backends?

• I have a feeling his may be something up and coming per the bootstrap-config description? Or possibly this is something I can take advantage of?

Maybe we build a table of what the possible controller deployment options are around the big features like identity backend options and ssl/fqdn configuration, possibly just a few solid example commands to go along with descriptions for these features would be great too. I would be happy to help out here in any way I can.

Thx

The documentation on configuring controllers (https://docs.jujucharms.com/2.4/en/controllers-config) does already have a big table with these values mentioned, although at the current time the ā€˜identityā€™ ones are marked as ā€˜not yet implementedā€™.

Some extra examples to go in the docs for specific use cases would be great though.

Thanks for the questions @jamesbeedy. I thought I had a blog post on using the letā€™s encrypt but while I used it for demos I donā€™t talk about that step in particular. Iā€™ll setup a discourse post on it today.

For the external auth, well thatā€™s build around JAAS and if youā€™d like to have a custom setup such as that you should engage with @uros-jovanovic around the on premises JAAS offerings.

1 Like

Iā€™ve put together a walk through on using Letā€™s Encrypt for a controller here:

One thing Iā€™ve not played with is doing this over HA controllers and having HA failures/etc. I think thatā€™s not as well tested as I tend to use it more for demos and when folks are running things in production they will use their own provided certificates vs letā€™s encrypt.

1 Like

Iā€™ve added a topic for deploying with external identity providers here:

1 Like

@martin-hilton @rick_h thanks for your insight.

Looks like a combination of both is what I was after.

For those interested, the bootstrap command for my manual controller using jujucharms identity and lets-encrypt for ssl:

juju bootstrap manual/mycontroller@juju00.example.com juju-controller-manual \
    --config identity-url=https://api.jujucharms.com/identity \
    --config allow-model-access=true \
    --config autocert-dns-name=juju00.example.com \
    --bootstrap-series bionic
1 Like

Awesome James.

Note that as of 2.4.2 you shouldnā€™t need to specify the bootstrap-series. It should be bionic by default. If you hit an issue let us know.

Hello @jamesbeedy, we are at this stage in our MAAS environment now and would appreciate some help. :slight_smile:

1. Advice on how to integrate with an external identity providers (ubuntu one)
  2. How to co-exist with our Active Directory identity provider.
  3. Do we need to ā€œchose wither oneā€ or can we use many?

A few months ago, we were talking to @uros-jovanovic about this but at that time we were not in the knowledge-zone to be able to communicate our situation properly. That has changed now and we could possibly make a few first steps.

2 Likes

This should fall under ā€œ[docs] Examples needed for external identity configurationsā€.

@pmatulis^

This might fall under something like ā€œCandid <-> Juju integration documentationā€ - although Iā€™m not sure this is meant to be a publicly usable system (it may be a system canonical is developing for use of facilitating customers with this type of use case through contractā€¦ not really sure.

@martin-hilton @rogpeppe @cmars @uros-jovanovic ^

This may also fall under the Candid category.

I stepped though a tutorial on using Candid with LXD the other day, so it is starting to creep out of itā€™s repo as something thatā€™s being offered for general use.

2 Likes

Does it make sense to use MAAS PODs for juju production controllers for MAAS?

Putting controllers in VMs in pods is definitely a fine way to go about things. You need to be careful as HA controllers only works well if theyā€™re on different hardware so youā€™d need a few pods to spread them out into.

Thanx, we plan to have 3 pods per maas cloud.