How to upgrade your deployment

–agent-version=3.0.0 or the like is required here, otherwise the upgrade won’t find it - it’ll be looking for newer versions of 2.9 by default.

1 Like

Updated, thanks! (I had this in an earlier version of the doc and then lost it somehow.)

Its mentioned a tool here “the stand-alone juju-restore tool” but there is no link to it which makes the documentation somewhat incomplete.

I’ll try find it.

Thanks for catching this, @erik-lonroth, I’ve added a link now. It’s this one here: https://github.com/juju/juju-restore

1 Like

This page is titled “from 2.9 to 3.x” but it seems you can’t actually easily upgrade from 2.9 to 3.1. This is maybe alluded to with the note of

While you need a 3.x client to bootstrap a 3.x controller, you can technically continue to manage a 3.x controller with a 2.9 client, at least until Juju release 3.1 ."

If you switch to 3.1, bootstrap a controller, once you switch back to the 2.9.42 controller it won’t connect so you have to downgrade back to the 2.9 client at least.

If the intended path is truly 2.9->3.0->3.1 then the page should be updated to reflect that explicitly, especially now that 3.1 is out.

1 Like

Hi @lathiat, thanks for your feedback. Insofar as I know, you should be able to upgrade from 2.9.x to 3.1 in one step. But I will double-check.

Hi,

after spinning a new 3.1 controller and importing all data from a 2.9.42 controller i cannot import models into the new controller.

infact when i issue a migrate command the migration starts but than hangs saying (json output):

“model-status”: { “current”: “available”, “message”: “migrating: aborted, removing model from target controller: model data transfer failed, failed to import model into target controller: remote-applications: version 3 not valid (not val id)”, “since”: “14 Apr 2023 17:24:57+02:00” },

what am i missing?

forgot to add: i’m using juju 2.9 client as when trying to use the 3.1 version it stops immediately

ERROR juju client with major version 3 used with a controller having major version 2 not supported

update your juju client to match the version running on the controller

There are some migration issues with importing to juju 3.1.0 which are fixed in the current 3.1 candidate. We’ll have to see if this is one of them. I don’t have a release date, but soon.

1 Like

The other thing would be nice to have in this guide are steps to get the current model in a clean state. Particularly, I have seen cases where the user needs to run mongo purge before re-trying a failed migration, and increasing agent-ratelimit-max that always make model migrations to fail.

The See more: How to upgrade a model link points to a archived link, which I was able to seen only after login. I believe the new link is How to manage models

1 Like

Fixed, thanks!

1 Like

Step 4 says to upgrade juju client to 3.x but then juju create-backup fails

juju create-backup -m ...
ERROR juju client with version 3.1 used with a controller having major version 2 not supported
re-install your juju client to match the version running on the controller

Another thing is backing up container controller

$ juju create-backup -m ...
ERROR Juju command "create-backup" not supported on container controllers

There is a note saying If your deployment is on Kubernetes: You will have to replicate this logic manually. but no details, like what to backup.

Hello @tmihoc,

Could you help us to solve how to backup for if the deployment is on K8s?

Many thanks.

Hi @marosg & @amo-mycena,

We currently don’t support backups on Kubernetes. There is a bit of enablement work we need to do to have this supported. At the moment we don’t advertise Kubernetes controllers as a production support Juju because of this and our ability to not provide HA.

The steps above for manually cloning a controller is different and not a backup. The steps involved logging into the Mongo database container and exporting several collections and then importing these into the new Database.

I will have a talk with @wallyworld and we will get these written in a formal manner for someone to follow.

1 Like

Hi,

It is great now that we have the Juju roadmap and release schedule, but I think some extra clarity would be great regarding upgrade paths now that we have some more minor versions, and 3.5 (LTS) is soon to be released, so I’m basically getting back to the question from @lathiat one year ago.

It is clear that minor versions (3.1->3.2, 3.2->3.3 and so on) can’t be carried out without model migration, but when migrating from 2.9 to 3.latest with as few migrations as possible, can we expect LTS->LTS to work, i.e. 2.9->3.5 directly or will certain stops in between be required?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @hallback , this doc might help: https://juju.is/docs/juju/juju-version-compatibility-matrix Do let me know if if it still has issues (e.g., missing info or unclear) and I’ll work to improve it.

1 Like

Hope to hear the updates ASAP.

Thanks a lot.

Juju 3.3 insn’t covered in there…