Building Heroku like solution with Juju

Hi, I found juju while searching about LXC.
Heroku using LXC. But we don’t know the exact architecture.

I am not using AWS like clouds. I have my own hardware. Each have 256 gb ram.
I tried juju but failed because of a bug. It fixed now but there is new bugs maybe.
Is juju suitable to manage 10k applications, 500+ databases, 10+ physical machine, TB’s of ram. Currently I have this load, they are working with VMware.

Does building a Heroku like UI top of juju api make sense? Is Juju responsible and stable?
Or should I still go with VMware solutions. (Expensive but nearly zero risks)

Hey!

There is actually a thread you might want to check out on the topic you address: What are your tips for running "Juju in production"?

From my own experience, juju is very much ready for enterprise grade deployments. But as with any software service of significance, it comes with effort and knowledge. Juju will require hard work from your crew, but will also pay back once you have made the needed investment.

The scale of your operations (10k apps, 500+ dbs and a few machines) is not a limiting factor here. In fact, I think that perhaps its describing a situation where Juju would allow you to comprehencibly manage that workload.

There are also professional help you can find in this community if you plan to move ahead with this.

On the note of LXC and vmware, juju is able to consume all of those underlying technologies as “clouds” on to which you then deploy software. LXC being the container class infrastructure, vmware fully virtualized and other clouds, such as MAAS would be a physical cloud. To juju, they are all viable targets.

Hope it helps and feel free to reach out if you need to.

1 Like

Juju is not compared to vmware. Its completely different technology classes.

Juju can “consume” vmware resources in terms of being able to provision and manage software deployed on-to vmware as a “cloud” in juju terms.

vmware is a hypervisor platform that can do some “IaaS” (virtual cpu, disk, networking and security)

Juju is better described as an “automation framework” rather than a “cloud” which you could argue vmware is, however, juju is more.

There is a site dedicated to describing juju at: http://juju.is

1 Like

Yes, Juju is very capable of that scale. We (Canonical) have multiple deployments at that scale. For example, every time you run apt get update && apt-get upgrade, you’re talking to a system that’s provisioned and managed by Juju.

I’m biased, but yet It does make sense. Juju is a very mature, open technology that is easy to extend.

Moreover, you do not need to do this alone. Community and commercial support options exist.

I also doubt that VMware is “nearly zero risks”. Although the web client and overall VMware platform are world-class, I have found working with the API really difficult. It’s a mix of XML, auto-generated code and unclear documentation.

2 Likes

I read a lot about juju. Learning curve looks huge but archivable with support. VMware bought Pivotal. They have pivotal web services and Kubernetes support with Pivotal’s api. VMware named pivotal services as Tanzu. Pivotal was competitor platform to Heroku. There was an another super developer experience container service wedeploy.com, after a while Liferay bought wedeploy. Named as Liferay DXP. Their price high as Tanzu. Now Scaleway launched their kubernetes service. Their service is cheaper than my network invoice. I don’t know how they do that. This is really fast market. Almost every infrastructure company focused to develop container technologies.

Since you are an expert on juju, it is normal to do this. It’s not easy for me. I will email Canonical for support plans. But I feel about juju it is promising.
In my spare time I come here and read some articles.
Maybe videos for learning will be more productive?

There are also a few options outside of Canonical. I can think of (at least):

2 Likes

Hey there! Thanks for linking us in @timClicks. :slight_smile:

I’m @zicklag from KatharosTech, and, just a small correction to Tim’s list above, we are actually in the US, not Greece, though the name is in fact Greek. :wink:

@mehmetaydogdu your use-case sounds really interesting and is actually along the lines of some of the stuff we have been thinking about lately in regards to Juju. Coincidentally we also just announced a Juju GUI prototype as a test-bed for ways of interacting with Juju that we hope would make it easier to work with and manage. This concept could be extended or a different GUI developed for such a Heroku-like orchestration solution.

Also an interesting Open Source option in the Heroku-like space is Dokku, so maybe deploying Dokku with Juju is a viable option.

It would be really great to talk to you about your use-case if you are open to a web meeting.

2 Likes

Thank you. Are they are using juju?

Hi, I am looking to offering Heroku like end solutions to customer.
So I can work on role based access managed dashboard.
If you do this already, we can develop together.

1 Like

We do not already have anything ready for a Juju management dashboard, but the development of those kinds of easy-to-use interfaces and automation stacks is something that we are very interested in.

We use meet.jit.si for web meetings. Would you be open to a meeting to discuss your use-case and find out how we might be able to help?